Reflecting on racial identifications and racism among Latin American migrants in London

apgg1
Tuesday 22 September 2020

Ana P. Gutiérrez Garza

(St. Andrews University)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/95640451655?pwd=NWRkTG1xQkk5dFpHV3BPT3ZhaUhPZz09

Meeting ID: 956 4045 1655   Passcode: 0CYyKV

My research focuses on Latin American migration, gender and social inequality in the UK, Spain and The United States. My doctoral work (2014-2018) was based on twenty months fieldwork research in London with Latin American women migrants working in sex and domestic work. My research analyses the problems and opportunities caused by migration and instead of concentrating only on the economic and political aspects of migration and labor, it focuses on the creation and (re)creation of migrants’ subjectivities experiencing multiple dislocations within precarious realities. My postdoctoral work at the LSE (2015-2018) allowed me to broaden the field of my research, still with a strong focus on care, inequality and migration. During 2016, I spent ten months doing fieldwork with an anti-eviction social movement called PAH (Platform for people affected by mortgages) analyzing the role of advice as a form of collective care and social struggle against current austerity policies and the transformation of the welfare state in Spain. My various field sites offer a comparative approach to the study of migration and people’s (particularly women) efforts and abilities to create possibilities for themselves in the face of precarious realities. My lens on care and ethics has illuminated everyday day practices of resistance but also structural conditions of inequality.