A decolonial move: Black Feminism and Latin-American Modernity/coloniality undoing ‘diversity’ at the University of Amsterdam.

apgg1
Tuesday 22 September 2020

Rosalba Icaza, Associate Professor in Global Politics, Gender, and Diversity Institute of Social Studies, The Hague. (Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands)

Time: Mar 17, 2021 05:00 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/98236603939?pwd=MXp1K3ZOaFJtTDZJZUQ3NjZIMXhoQT09

Meeting ID: 982 3660 3939
Passcode: 7mwr6U

My work as a decolonial and anti-racist feminist has been focused on coalitions and plural forms of resistance connecting across colonial divides. My more recent site of research has been the University as an institution, but also curricula and pedagogies. I served as one of the members of the University of Amsterdam Diversity Commission, Chaired by Professor Gloria Wekker (author of White Innocence) that conducted the first analysis of demographic, representational, and epistemic racism in higher education in the Netherlands informed by a decolonial and intersectional perspective. Our final report is available in English here. Since 2017, I am leading research that explores how racialized womxn connect across nation-state territorial borders and colonial divides to decolonize universities with case studies in Western Europe, South Africa, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Pakistan.

Since COVID 19, I am also involved in collaborative research that is working with racialized communities residents of the city of the Hague in the Netherlands and their stories of solidarity and mutual support amidst the pandemic of Covid19, Dutch BLM mobilizations, and structural racism. Our findings aim to challenge dominant narratives in media and politics and expand the landscape of knowledge regarding the alternatives taking place in the City. Since 2008, I member of the Red Transnacional Otros Saberes and co-Chief Editor of the non-commercial publishing house Cooperativa Editorial RETOS and since last year I collaborate with the collective Suumil from Sinanche Yucatan.