“The Cosmic Race on Trial: The Judicial Construction of race… and ethnicity in Mexico”.

apgg1
Tuesday 22 September 2020

Tatiana Alfonso (ITAM, Mexico)

Time: Apr 21, 2021 05:00 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/96618832295?pwd=OW9Tanljc2hSMURuaEVTZysyY0ZHZz09

Meeting ID: 966 1883 2295
Passcode: qrrTb1

I’m a lawyer and a sociologist from Colombia but currently based in Mexico. I’ve had the opportunity to work with indigenous peoples and afrodescendant communities in both countries around issues of racism, racial discrimination, prior consultation and territory. My research interests include human rights, sociology of law, sociology of race and ethnicity, sociology of development and methodologies for legal research. In my work, she explores the relation between law and social inequalities with a focus on how legal and political institutions may have distributive effects between unequal actors in society. In pursuing those interests, I’ve done research on racial discrimination and human rights, social movements and legal change, and territorial and property rights of indigenous peoples and afro descendant communities in Latin America.